Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Weatherman LP Review


I was originally gonna do a review of Rich Boys new junt but that shit was a huge ass let down so I'm here with something 10x's betta!

I gained a whole new respect for the Dilated Peoples crew after I was able to catch them during their '06 tour with Little Brother. Evidence, Raka, and DJ Babu rocked the stage for a good hour and a half with their shirts drenched in sweat by the finale. Their where probably only 150 to 200 heads in the house that night in Buckhead but you would of thought they where performing for 1,000 people in West Hollywood. I originally wasn't gonna stay for Dilated because I wasn't really feeling their new album and I was really only there to see LB, but I'm really glad I ended up staying for the whole show. I almost forgot that Little Brother is still a young group after seeing them perform compared to the high energy performance by Dilated.

As for the album, Evidence has teamed up with ALC to release his first solo album, The Weatherman LP. The "weatherman" moniker is referring to the common misconception that it never rains in Southern California and that everyday is good because the sun is out. But it can still rain while the sun is visible, and over the past couple of years the rain has been hard for Ev with the recent passing of his mother.

I wasn't expecting this album to be so thorough, I didn't have to hit the skip button once. This is definitely the best album so far this year, without any appearances from "major" rappers or producers, besides ALC who's been on the DL the past 4 years, appearing on any of the tracks. Guest spots in front of the mic include Phonte, Defari, Planet Asia, Joe Scudda, Rapper Big Pooh, and others. Behind the boards a big surprise was a producer who I've never heard anything from, Sid Roams. When I heard his sound it reminded me of hell, with fire bursting from the ground and his cuts on the turntables are even more horrific...in a good way, look out from him in the future. Evidence, who is a producer as well, is a pretty good behind the boards as well as the mic. The Alchemist steals the cake though, on "Letyourselfgo" he probably uses 2 bars from the sample and chops that shit up into an amazing beat. "Born in LA" is also a standout from the album where Al flexes his DJ skills. This album has been on repeat all day long for me so let me give ya'll a taste before the release on the 20th.

Letyourselfgo (Produced by the Alchemist) - ft. The Alchemist & Phonte

NC to CA (Produced by Evidence) - ft. Joe Scudda & Rapper Big Pooh

Believe In Me (Produced by Sid Roams) - ft. Res

Born In LA (Produced by the Alchemist) - ft. Chace Infinite & Sick Jaken

-
From previous post

Chase the Clouds Away (Produced by the Alchemist)

All Said and Done (Produced by DJ Khalil)


Video From the first single "Mr. Slow Flow" (Produced by Sid Roams)



- DiBiase

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home