Sunday, July 27, 2008

Jazmine Sullivan

Back in 2006, when I first started this blog I heard about a female vocalist by the name of Jazmine Sullivan, who sang a version of a song called "Resentment" that many believed to be better than a version sung by Beyonce. I completely forgot about that girl until I was listening to the radio in DC recently and heard her new single "Need U Bad" which sounds strikingly like something the great Lauryn Hill would have produced.

Need U Bad - Jazmine Sullivan feat. Missy Elliott

Now I never saw the comparisons between Miss Hill and Amy Winehouse, but Sullivan sounds so much like Lauryn its scary. After finding Jazmine Sullivan was behind the music on the radio I found "Lions, Tigers and Bears" which is a soul wrenching track from the now 21-year-old, and will be featured on her first album Fearless to be released soon. This track too is reminiscent of the great sound that Lauryn Hill failed to reproduce later in her career, but luckily there's Jazmine to keep the music moving.

Lions, Tigers and Bears - Jazmine Sullivan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home