Tuesday, September 05, 2006

New Little Brother


All We Know - Presidents feat. Little Brother

powered by ODEO

Good look Honorable Media


Little Brother is hip-hop's savior. Listening to the latest LB with the Presidents, I realized 9th Wonder used a sample from I'm Not to Blame by Bobby Byrd... the same song Just Blaze sampled for "U Don't Know" for Jay-Z on The Blueprint (and Blueprint 2). Being from Durham, I can't tell you how good it feels to hear my city repped so hard by LB. No matter how big they get, they are still real to where they came from. Oh and Phonte and Big Pooh are talkin about some real hoods on this track. Just goes to prove the point that even if you from the hood, it doesn't mean you gotta promote the hood mentality of guns, bitches and money.

Yo, this is for my n-ggas at retail
Lookin for a reason to re-bel
I'm rollin through your hood,
with them hot Playstations to resell;
Come on, don’t ask for the details, that’s Dirty Durham;
And Tay been out there,
since his days S&K down at South Square;
My pride I swallowed down;
Don’t get it twisted cause I’m listed in the "R" now
I still rep the Bull City, watch me holla out
- Phonte

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alrie let me try this again

All We Know - Presidents feat. Little Brother

Good ear with the bobby hijack. Im glad to hear LB reppin their city more and thats what they need to be doing. Durham needs to get on the map through music rather than through the Ku Klux Klan and Lacrosse teams.
When i heard Phonte say that the city is on his back it reminds of when Atlanta was on the back of another duo. Ive been listening to Outkast's first album the last 2 weeks, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, and these guys where puttin Atlanta on the map staright out of high school through their lyrics
(heres an example from the song Hootie Hoo)

(Big Boi)
"So each one, teach one, I be claimin true
To East Point and College Park and the things I used to do
Around ATL, home of the pimps and the money makers
Club niggaz, Magic City and them Southern playas
I never said I was a gangsta but I will do ya
So Hallelujah, Hallelujah
One for the playas at the crib, drinking drinks
And two is for the sound, Hootie Hoo that I make"

THIS IS IN 1994!

Anyway back to the track, dont really like the hook but the shit that counts is good. The beat is good but not great the last great 9th beat ive heard was Carolina Agents and that was mainly cuz it was outta the 80-90 bpm range, i wish he would do more upbeat...beats but i will be lookin to pick up that HOJ album...10/3 10/3 10/3 10/3

11:37 PM  
Blogger thehaytidream said...

Damn, I was listenin to "Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik" last night, real talk, and was listenin to "Hootie Hoo" thinkin, at this point nobody knew what College Park was. Now it's just another one of those Atlanta hoods that are called out on nearly every song you hear. I doubt Durham will ever get that big, but you right, LB's respect of their roots and willingness to find their own groove is reminiscent of OutKast.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home